Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Lists

Things I'll Miss

1) My Italian cell phone

I bought a phone during orientation in June, mostly for emergencies and also to call my co-tutors. But it has turned out to be a really nice addition to my life in Italy. I continue to text former co-tutors, host parents, and directors. It's so nice to get messages from them and I'll miss them when I'm home next week and they're much more distant.

2) New Foods

I have always been a picky eater. I've been transitioning into a normal eater in recent years, but this summer I've really outdone myself. There were a few new foods I tried in Prague, but since I've been in Italy, I've begun to eat: peaches, plums, apricots, tomatoes, pie, mushrooms, and many other foods that I never would have voluntarily eaten before. But I'm worried that when I go home, these foods won't be as tasty as they are here. We'll see. And it's also really nice to eat things that are from the region where I am (i.e. Parmasean cheese in Parma) and lots of other local specialties, particularly wine.

3) Balconies

Balconies are so beautiful in Europe, especially in Italy. I think part of it is just their varying shapes, and part of it is the flowers that cover them. I spend quite a bit of time staring at them.

4) 'Bo'

When an Italian wants to say "I don't know," he or she says "Bo." It sounds like a combination of 'boh' and 'buh.' It took me a while to get used to, but I'll probably be using it myself for at least a few weeks after I get home.


Things I Won't Miss

1) Flies

They are everywhere! In Sarego, my host house was filled with flies and I woke up on several occasions because there were flies on my face. When I ate, there would sometimes be four or five flies on me. At the camp I'm at now, there are these gnats/flies which fill the air and you gotta keep your mouth shut sometimes to keep them out.

2) Long meals

I think this is something most people like about Italy. A dinner out will usually take about 2 and a half or three hours, with most of that time spent waiting for the next course. I get super tired just sitting, even if the food is really good, and all I want to do afterward (and often during dinner) is to go to sleep. So I'm excited for those, 'we're to busy to sit here, and the restaurant wants us to leave' American meals.

3) Living Out of a Suitcase

I've been doing this for 3 months now, and it won't end until I finish unpacking in St. Louis at the end of the month. I've gotten used to it, but it'll be so nice when it ends. Also, in Sarego, I picked up two bottles of wine, two jars of honey, two jars of homemade jam, and a bottle of olive oil, so my jumbo bag is now somewhere around 60-65 lbs.

4) Lack of Familiarity

I've made some really great friends this summer, which isn't something I was expecting out of this experience. But still, it will be so nice to go back to Palo Alto and to St. Louis, where people know me and I know people.


Things That Will Be Strange


Kids who speak fluent English


Being around only Americans (and not Canadians, Brits, Scots, Australians, etc.)

When I work with Brits, I become very aware of my accent. I'd never been able to hear my own accent before this summer, but now sometimes I think I sound like such an American. I'm not sure if that'll go away anytime soon. also, I've met a TON of Canadians. Who knew there were so many?


P.S. This week I'm teaching in Calcio (translation: soccer) and living in the village of Fontanella. It's about 45 minutes southeast of Milan, and very close to my second camp this summer. My family is wonderful, the co-tutors are great, and the kids are pretty good. It's my last week so I'm kind of on auto-pilot, especially since I got pretty attached at the last camp. I'll take a train to Rome on Saturday morning, and I fly home on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment