Thursday, August 6, 2009

EasyCamp

I am pretty much done. And camp this week is soooooooo easy. I'm not sure if it's because everything has become so routine, or because my host family is my best yet, or because the director is relaxed, but it's just really easy.

My group is also very manageable. There are a lot of them (13), but for the first time since my first camp, I can leave them for a few minutes, come back, and they'll still be sitting quietly. They get pretty excited about any game I teach them, they eagerly study their lines for the show, and they actually enjoy rehearsing the English Camp song that most kids dread. It's miraculous. AND they voted to do a Pirates of the Caribbean show... which I did four weeks ago, so I didn't even have to write a new script.

My host family is great. I spend most of my time at their house working on a 1,500 piece puzzle that I think we might be able to finish by Saturday morning. The 15 year-old son speaks the most English in the family, and he really enjoys knowing more than everyone else. It's tough to find an Italian teenager who will willingly speak English, since most are shy about trying a different language, so I appreciate his constant translations. But it's also fun stretching my limited Italian and hearing the parents stretch their even more limited English.

Oh and I'm riding a bike to camp again this week, but it's much different. It's not as scenic as Sarego (no vineyards this time, only cornfields), and it's much longer (4-5 miles each way), but my bike is amazing. It belonged to my host-great-grandfather. I feel like an old Italian man riding it because my back is perpendicular to the ground and it is so relaxing.

One more reason this camp feels easy... our daily hour during lunch to use the computer room. But that's ending now, so back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment