Thursday, April 23, 2009

Prague Winding Down

Some things I want to to do before I go, and somethings I've recently done that I wish I'd done all along:

What I've done:

Paddleboating on the Vltava
I apologize to those of you who visited me before... I should have take you paddleboating on the river. I finally went last week with my friend Harris and Andrew from my program, and I think it's the best thing I've done in Prague so far. For a one hour boat rental, it was about $10 total. We went under bridges, around an island, and almost were swept over a small dam (oops). I'm definitely doing this again before I leave.

Eating at Radost FX
I've gone to Radost many a Thursday for the club part of the property, but I hadn't tried the delicious vegetarian restaurant on the street level. I went last Monday, I'm going tonight, and I'm going next Monday.

Visit Karlstejn Castle
I did this with Harris and his friend, Ben, while they were visiting. It's less than an hour from Prague and it's super-medieval.


Need to do:

Climb Petrin Hill
Petrin is the hill across the river from me, that looks pretty out of place because it is a patch of wilderness surrounded by city. I've heard that climbing it is an incredible experience, and that view from the top is amazing.

Visit Plzen
I'm doing this tomorrow with Yael. It's where the Pilsner Urquell brewery is, and it is the origin of the word "pilsner." It also has the third-biggest synagogue in the world.

Go to the base of the scary communist TV Tower
The tallest thing in Prague is this TV Tower that looms over the whole city. It looks really scary, especially at night, and there are sculptures of babies crawling up the tower.

See the inside of the Estates Theatre
I'm doing this on Wednesday. When I saw the interior in January as I was reading up on Prague, I gasped. It's a really old theatre (late 1700s) and Mozart's Don Giovanni premiered there. Yael and I are going to see a junior ballet there, which should be interesting.

See a ballet
See previous item

See a rock concert
I'll have to find a way to do this. I missed out on weekly free concerts at Reduta Rock Cafe, and a couple weeks ago the government shut it down for health reasons.

Go to the Charles Bridge at dawn
I think this would be a really cool last-day-in-Prague activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment