Sunday, July 26, 2009

Lago di Garda

Yesterday I went on an absolutely amazing day trip. I wish I could post my pictures but that'll have to wait until I have internet on my computer. So I'm posting a few that I found online of the area of the lake we saw.
We went to Lago di Garda (Lake Garda), which is about 40 minutes from where I'm staying, and it's the biggest lake in Italy. Sara and I left early in the morning and had really good luck with trains and buses, so we arrived at the northern tip of the lake just after 10 am (which is a 2 hour bus drive from the southwest corner).

It was unbelieveably beautiful. This part of the lake is in the Alps, or at least the foothills of the Alps, so it's surrounded by massive green and rocky mountains. It's also not that far from Austria, so we heard about half Italian and half German. And the restaurants served goulash!! But I stuck to pasta and pizza.

We walked along the beach for about an hour and found a great restaurant for lunch, and then went in the water. It was the perfect temperature. It was cold when I walked in but the sun was so strong that within a minute the water felt warm. And then I looked around and all I could see was this huge lake and towering, jagged mountains.
We had bad luck with buses back down to the bottom of the lake, so we walked for a bit and then saw a sign that said 'Panorma' and had an arrow. So we followed it. The path took us up into the hills, past some remote houses and vineyards, until we had a view of the lake with a vineyard in the foreground, then the small town of Torbole, then the water, and then the mountains. Sadly my camera didn't know what to do with the variation of lighting so I couldn't capture the scene, but it was amazing.

Today we're going to Vicenza, a city only about 15 minutes away with lots of stuff designed by Palladio. He was a Renaissance architect that I'd never heard of, but the whole city is a UNESCO site because of him, so I guess he's pretty important. And perhaps he is why the 'Palladium,' Prague's biggest mall, has it's name. I really have no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment