Saturday, July 18, 2009

How I Became Harry Potter (And How Julia Became Ron Weasley)

On Wednesday, Hermione (Irene) told me she would not be at the final show.
On Thursday, Harry (Francesco D) told me he would not be at the final show.
On Friday, Ron (Francesco F) did not show up to camp.

What do you do when you lose your three main characters? I had enough time to remove Hermione from the script, but I ended up drawing a lightning bolt on my forehead and becoming Harry Potter, and Julia (my co-tutor) played the part of Ron Weasley. It was frustrating, but the show must go on.

Most importantly, this camp is over. I completed the camp evaluation form, and gave the directors the lowest marks I've ever given anyone on an evaluation, but it was a joke. There's just no way to completely express how disastrous this camp was. In the comment section at the end, I only wrote about things that happened yesterday, the last day of camp. These included:

1) The directors charging each camper 3 euros for each camp picture (these are always free), even though they cost 0.38. The reason? The directors want to help pay for the restoration of the school. So they are doing that by making kids pay for their pictures. Most of these kids don't even attend the school.

2) The directors not coordinating our transportation to the train station today, which is a requirement of their job.

3) At the beginning of the show, they both gave an introductory speech, which was great. Then, one of them left, and did not reappear until she was chatting in the back of the room with people, which echoed to the front and no one could hear the show. The other director stayed, but thought the show was over before we gave out the diplomas, so she told the parents they could leave, and started chatting with some of them. Many of the parents missed seeing their kids receive diplomas.

4) When we tried to get kids to stop talking during the performances, the director who was still there would just smile at them because she thought they were cute for misbehaving. One of these kids was her son.


Ok, this is the end of my complaining about this camp. But all that happened in one day, and every day this week was as bad or worse.

On a happier note, I mostly enjoyed preparing for the show with my class. They did an excellent job making the cardboard signs, and the girls put together a solid Mamma Mia dance which saved the show. These are the girls in my class, all of whom I really like, except for that girl on the right... she's a pain. The one in the back middle, her name is Irene Russo. I think she must be the Apple version of the actress.

After the show, we got to spend time with the good people from these two weeks. We said goodbye to Marco, Enza and Camilla, which was my saddest goodbye in Italy.

We went out for dinner with Anita, the amazing helper/director, in Parma. The dinner/gelato redeemed the city in my eyes... until we got stuck there for the THIRD time. The first was when we took the wrong #11 bus 2 weeks ago, then last week the Happy Bus never came, and this time we called the main and maybe only cab company in the cities, and they had NO taxis. So we walked to Anita's house and her mom woke up at 12:30 am and drove back to the school, cramming 8 of us into a 5-seater.

Now I'm off to a new and hopefully happier place, where I may or may not have Internet!

Montechiarugolo is finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment