Thursday, June 11, 2009

It starts with an F...

Sadly this is all I remember about my first destination of the summer. I was told twice, but I forgot to write it down! It's somewhere near Rome, and I'm taking the night train there tomorrow night.

Orientation has been a crazy week. It's in San Remo, which is about an hour from Nice and only 20 minutes from Monaco. My hotel is about 2 minutes from the sea, and the orientation takes place in a villa filled with palm trees and flowers, overlooking the sea. It's obscene. But for such a relaxing location, there's been a lot of stress.

I realized that it's been a loooooong time since I've been in a place nowhere near anyone I know. So that's been a little rough, and I have absolutely needed daily internet access to maintain sanity, which I know is not the best thing. I'm sure I'll get used to this quickly. And I haven't been a camp counselor before, which is a challenge even before you consider that these kids don't know very much English.

But the games and songs we've learned this week are so fun, and that makes everything better. I can't wait to teach them to all of the kids. It will be an adventure when I walk into a classroom with 10-12 Italian kids on Monday and do my best to teach them English. And I'm expecting it to take a few weeks to really find my footing, but it should be a lot of fun.

Oh and I'm excited to post stories like Maryse's about teaching kids, and I have one so far. On Wednesday morning we went to a school and worked with kids, and we were doing a game where we shout a color and they have to find something that is that color. We shouted "Pink!" and two kids walked toward me, with one pointing to the other's cheek. But the kid was really tan. So his friend pointed at the cheek, and then pointed at my face and said "Pink!" They found my pink cheeks.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, that story is adorable. : ) Jealous that you get to teach kids. Can you steal one for me?

    ReplyDelete