Thursday, September 15, 2011

Mean Girls/Missing Persons Camp


(Yeah, I’m in Chicago, but let’s pretend I’m not)

Overall, this last camp was pretty good.  My class loved all the songs and games I taught them, and they were incredibly silent when working in their books.  But there was one boy, most accurately described as a computer geek with poor social skills, who often sought physical resolutions to social problems. And the girls were relentless.  They openly teased him and whenever we practiced the group bow at the end of the show, it always took 10 seconds before anyone would hold his hand.

(Pictured- The soccer-playing dog) I’d imagine it’s difficult to address bullying in a monolingual environment.  It’s pretty much impossible in the ACLE environment when a tutor doesn’t speak fluent Italian.  The directors lectured the girls every day but they couldn’t be in class all the time and my Italian is nowhere near good enough to address these situations, even when I can tell what’s going on.

(Pictured - Montepulciano) On Wednesday at one point he pulled me out of the classroom and brought a helper over (we have teenage helpers at camp).  Through the helper, he told me that he didn’t want to be alone in class anymore and that he knew I couldn’t understand what they were saying to him but that someone had to do something.  I did the most I thought I could, made sure he was a part of set painting and at least felt included in the games.  But these were band-aids that quickly peeled off.

(Pictured - The Foiano staff) There was a similar problem in the middle class of 9-10 year olds.  There were several boys in that group but three of them stuck with each other and one was left for abuse by the girls in that class.  They passed a note around saying they would bash his teeth in (which the directors laughed off, I still don’t understand), even though he was a really sweet kid.  So he and the boy in my group became friends (at least for a day or two), even though they were totally different personalities.

(Pictured - Most of my class, boy missing) I really did enjoy the kids at the camp for the most part (especially after last week...), but I think the bad times in Foiano are more interesting/memorable.  On Friday I was supervising all the kids at the beginning of lunch, which is hard given that it was a big school with lots of escape routes from the central courtyard.  I saw from afar that one of my girls was near the fence to the park behind the school, outside of the courtyard.  When I got closer, I saw that in fact four of my girls were already behind the fence, climbing up a steep sandy hill.  I yelled at them and told them to come back, which they did.  But to return they had to step on top of a wobbly chainlink fence (presumably how they got over in the first place), then onto a more sturdy gate, before jumping on the ground.  It’s hard to describe, but it was NOT SAFE.

We’d had a lot of issues at this camp with kids wandering into the gym or up to the classrooms unsupervised, but nothing super dangerous.  This was super dangerous.  So after I helped them all down I got them in a circle and got really angry.  They laughed.  When one of the directors came back about 45 minutes later, I explained what happened.  Since she’d laughed off the “we’ll bash your teeth in” incident, I didn’t expect much.  15 minutes later, all four girls came up to me sobbing.  The director explained that she told them I got angry at them out of concern for their safety, and they told her that they felt guilty because they thought I was a good tutor.  I told them that what they did was not intelligent (always with the basic English), but that I wasn’t angry anymore.  That didn’t stop them from spending the next 20 minutes crying together in a bathroom stall.  But they got their game faces back on for show practice and everything was ok.

Outside of camp, my host mom took me town-hopping.  We went to Cortona, an ancient Etruscan town now famous for "Under The Tuscan Sun," Montepulciano, famous for Nobile wine (waaaaaay better than Chianti Classico), and Pienza, a beautiful really old-looking "perfect" Renaissance town. 

I think I’ll do one more wrap-up post about the final final show and some other things I don’t want to forget to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment