Saturday, March 7, 2009

10 Things I Miss About the US of A

This is how I spent my Politics class a few days ago...

I could probably just as easily make a list of the things I really don't miss.

1. Free Water

You usually have to pay about $1.50 for 1/3 liter of water at restaurants, which offsets the cheap prices of food in general. The best solution to this problem is beer. It's usually about $1.25 and 1/2 liter.

2. $20 Bills at ATMs

When you withdraw 2,000 korunas (about $100), you usually get a 2,000 koruna bill. Or sometimes two 1,000 koruna bills if you're lucky. But I did just find an ATM that gives out 200 koruna bills (about $10), which made my week. This will save me numerous angry glances and grunts from cashiers who have had the pleasure of breaking my huge bills.

3. The assumption that employees will be nice

It's usually about 50/50.

4. Dessert shops and grocery stores stay open late

The ice cream/dessert places around me all close at 8. Thank God the fried cheese and fried chicken stand is open 24 hours.

5. Dryers

They don't really use them here. But I've gotten used to having a drying rack instead, although 45 minutes in a dryer definitely beats 24 hours on a rack.

6. Milkshakes

I've gotten 1 milkshake here. It came in a wine glass. I don't know how anything in a wine glass can be called a milkshake.

7. Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches

8. Diversity

This country is over 90% Czech, and such homogeneity is just not something I'm used to.

9. Small Class Discussions and Large Class Lectures

I'm not a fan of small class lectures, which is almost all I have here. I think I just need some distance from the professor if he's going to be talking at me for an hour plus. It's rough when there are only 10-15 people there and the professor is staring at you while he's lecturing.

10. English

No comments:

Post a Comment